Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Greats

ribbon_blu.gifAs a youth I wasn't much of a risk taker and pretty much a homebody. So when I was presented the opportunity to go watch Michael Jordan play during his time with the Chicago Bulls I passed it up. It involved travel and staying over night in a strange town -- something I just didn't do. To this day, I deeply regret that.

Since that time I've made it a point to see those considered "the greats" whenever the opportunity presents itself. For instance, I've been to Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin to watch Brett Favre play football. I've watched Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson pitch and Ken Griffey Jr bat. I've seen Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull play hockey. All great sports figures. But I have also had a beer with Eric Gamma, while attending a programming conference in San Jose California and attended photography classes taught by National Geographic Photographer Jim Brandenburg. Recently, I saw Joe Satriani play live.

I haven't stopped with seeing just great people. Sometimes its locations that are very unique or known world wide. For instance, I've been to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota (nearly costing me my job). I've already mentioned Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin. But I've also seen Soldiers Field and the Sears Tower in Chicago Illinois. On separate trips to California, I've seen Apple Headquarters, The Golden Gate Bridge, the mysterious Winchester House, and Disneyland. I've also been to Disney World in Orlando Florida. How about the Bad Lands and Wall Drug in South Dakota or Devils Tower in Wyoming? Yup I've seen those too.

Sometimes, I've made an effort to see people that I don't consider great but others do (or have). For instance, Barry Bonds was supposed to play against the Minnesota Twins, but apparently he had a boo-boo that night and just sat in the club house (okay between you, me and the internet - I secretly had dreams of catching a home run ball hit by that thug and defacing the piss out of it, but I digress).

The point here isn't what or who I've seen since I passed up that opportunity to see Mr. Jordan play (although seeing that list in writing feels good). No, the point is I've thought a lot about why I regretted not going to see Mr. Jordan play. I think it boils down to this - "the greats" provide unique events in the human experience that transcend and cut through social, racial, age, and economic boundaries. They provide memories. I watched that Monday night football game where Brett Favre through three touchdowns, two days after losing his biggest idol - his dad. An amazing game that I'm sure I won't long forget. But watching these people or places on television, listening to the event on the radio, looking at pictures, or reading about them/it in the newspaper or blogs only provide what someone else thinks is great about that person/place. It doesn't let you form your own opinion about what makes that person/place great and make that a part of yourself. That is what I regret. So please, whenever you are presented the chance - go see "the greats".

1 comment:

OhCaptain said...

This is a great reminder. Thanks for sharing!