Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Lose It!

Picture 1.pngBack in December I started a series of posts about software that I think is just awesome. Well, I'm back with another installment and today's application is for all my iPhone pals out there. The program is called Lose It! and is probably the single most important tool I have in my battle for weight loss.  



My diet is pretty simple. Number of calories in the mouth has to be less than the number of calories I burn in a day. This app makes it brain dead simple to keep track of that. The application comes initially loaded with a fairly substantial food database, but adding new foods is straight forward. Actually, adding new foods is integrated right into the logging portions of the application, and if you find an excuse for not entering a new food --- your not really ready to change your life. Its really that well designed. One tip - although it has an extensive database of foods , including popular restaurant chains, you may still need a website like XXXX or XXXX for that occasional item it doesn't have.



What I really like about the program is its built around the same approach I take to dieting. To that extent it initially populates your calorie allowance based on your RMR and Mifflin Equation information. What is even cooler, is it allows you to adjust this in case you've had your RMR actually measured (as was my case).



Tracking daily and weekly calories counts is really easy and presented in a very graphically pleasing format. Speaking of graphically pleasing, the "goals" section has a awesome graphical display of your weight over time. Let me tell you, its one heck of a motivator especially if you monitor your weight daily.



The application is available now on iTunes and is, get this ... 100% free. It's not even ad-supported! People, trust me. This is a flat out steal!!! I'd easily pay $15-20 for this application. I think its awesome and I'm sure if you have an iPhone and are trying to lose weight, you will too.



1 comment:

mumblingsages said...

And as I found out this morning, my diet philosophy is backed by a new study that followed 4 diet fads and came to the conclusion its really all about calories.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/360/9/859