Monday, January 02, 2012

New Year.... New Beginnings

So it's that time of year again. You know what I'm referring to. Yup, New Years resolution(s) time. I honestly can't say that I have any this year. Well outside of being more committed to my training regime this year. I also plan on reading more. Oh and to shoot more photography. Oh and to focus on a more minimalistic lifestyle. And to ... awww crap!! So I mentioned that I wanted to be more committed to the workout regime. Well that actually started back in November. At the start of November I created my first Annual Training Plan, as described in the Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible. It was created to lead me to a couple of "peak" weeks. Peak weeks are weeks in which your trying to perform at your absolute best. They are associated with your "A" races, the races where time is most important to you. Most "age groupers" like myself may have 1 or 2, at most 3, of these a year. More than that and, as I've discovered, your just going to burn yourself out. So what are my "A" races this year. It wouldn't be a race season without the now annual trip to Trinona in Winona MN. By far my favorite race of the season. My other "A" race this year is the Square Lake 1/2 Ironman. I intended to this one this past September, however, a number of changes at work made keeping to the training schedule virtually impossible. I think I've worked through those changes now and should be able to get back to that dedication. I have signed up to do another full marathon. We'll see if I can beat my time. I do plan on doing Warrior Dash again this year and a couple 5/10Ks as well. So what do I plan to do with the blog this year? Well, I want to hold myself accountable to the training schedule. So I intend to publish a set of weekly numbers. Certainly I want to post my race experiences. And most importantly, I intend to talk a bit smack. My primary rival (@TheBiggTree on Twitter) seems to be getting his act together. We'll need to remind him of exactly how many races he beat me at last year.... oh wait, there wasn't one. Ooops. Ok moving on. So yeah, its that time of year again. Time to start taking things serious.

No comments: